Sunday, May 9, 2010

End of School [2010]: A Report on Life, Universe, and Everything in Between

It’s been a while since I’ve been here! Busy, busy. Sorry, loyal fans, but never fear! Cuz I’m back and better than ever. Time for a well-needed update!!!

There are lots of things that I need to talk about, but for now, let’s get in the mood with some story time.

School……..well, college is a hell of an experience, that’s all I can say.

This year has been a hard one on me. I’ve mentioned my troubles in freshman and sophomore year both in real life and on this blog (I think!) so I won’t get into those too much. While freshman year was about discovering myself and my place in society and sophomore year was about solidifying my place and stabilizing myself, junior year was all about reaching new boundaries and doing new things, as well as finally making choices to determine the rest of my life. I’ve met some more friends (mostly all astro ppl, but some non astro as well!), gotten close to some of them, remained shaky with others, tightened previous bonds, and even recently, gotten to know some other friends better. It’s been a roller coaster of emotions and trials that happens to everyone, but something that still both mystifies and confuses me.

This year has been a strange one indeed. I want to talk about my decisions. I am at heart an astro kid, but the time had come to make my move for real. Taking so many math, physics and astronomy classes took their toll on me. While the astronomy classes weren’t too bad (with the exception of Astrodynamics, which is probably the hardest class EVER, and the class I dropped this semsester), the math and physics classes were murder. I didn’t worry too much about math, since I finished my strictly math classes last year. But this year the physics classes proved too much for me to handle. My Mechanics 1 class was beast, but not because the work was undoable, mostly because the professor was pretty bad at teaching the material. I bombed and would have to retake it over next year. Then came second semester. Quantum Mechanics is no joke. That is definitely a class you DO NOT want to take if your math background is weak like mine was. The homeworks were such a hassle to get done, and the first test I took emasculated me. Because of Mechanics 1, I was contemplating switching over to theology, which was always a possibility for me, ever since my interest in theology grew by leaps and bounds in HS. However, I had not come to a concrete decision until the beginning of second semester, and by that time it was too late to talk it out with my parents. I told them over the phone, but it wasn’t the same. They really discouraged me, and I felt a bit down for a couple of weeks. Nevertheless, I tried to make it work but once the middle of the semester came, I realized that I was way in over my head. I decided to talk to people about it, and I talked to the head of theology, who advised me to at least finish the astronomy degree if possible. One of my astronomy teachers advised me to look into comprehensive science, and once I checked it out, I decided to make my move. With or without approval from my parents, I thought it was finally time to make my own decision, and so I did. Senior yea r is going to be easier as a result, but all that stress for the past 3 years was now gone, and I was happier as a result.

Now onto people. This year, the freshman class was pretty large, 7 people, and there was 3 girls! A new record for our astronomy dept. anyway, I became friends with most of them. One of them rarely hangs out with us though. Out of the 6 that remained, one of the guys dropped, but I still talk to him and we’re pretty chill friends. One of the guys reminds me of me when I was younger, so I understand him well and we’re pretty good friends. The other guy who remained was on a bit of rocky terms with me, but by the end of the year had become a pretty good friend. Now the three girls…….ever since a certain incident my freshman year, I’ve been reluctant to have female friends, mostly due to my inexperience in talking to girls in a sociable manner. Nevertheless, I made friends out of all three, to varying degrees. One of the girls I was pretty close to, but for some reasons have drifted apart, although we remain good friends. One of the other girls is quiet and so I have not interacted with her as much. The last one I got to know especially well over the past couple of days and so I can consider her a very good friend. As for other friends, most of the friends who survived freshman year have gotten closer to me, and the friends that I made last year have also gotten closer. I am glad that I have been able to solidify my friendships

Now for shenanigans. I have had so much fun this past year, due to everyone here. From Halloween parties to Christmas parties to bbq and partying stuff, I have enjoyed people’s company and gotten to know people in different ways, especially at the parties I’ve held in my apartment for the past two weeks. There’s a different way to view people and a different way to express yourself once you’re in a party mood. I’ve gotten especially close to certain of my friends whom I would not have gotten to know better otherwise, and I am glad for that opportunity. I’ve also learned that I don’t really like alcohol. Being 21, I have the privilege to drink , but the more I try, the more I don’t like it. It’s funny. I guess this is just one of those things.

As the year comes to an end, I am surrounded by new adventures and a new mindset. I am returning to school to do some summer astronomy research and finish the remnants of being an astronomer, and hopefully my life can begin as something mine and something chosen. I am looking forward to having lots of fun and making many new memories along the way, and hopefully this will be the best summer yet! I am going to enjoy my time at home improving myself and hanging out with old friends and reminiscing about olden times. Then it will be time to go out and walk toward my future, and I want to thank my family and friends for supporting me. Thanks guys!

Well, that’s just a small recap. Of course, a year of knowledge and change cannot be expressed in one mere blog post, and I probably forgot what I want to write, but at least this is a little tidbit of myself and I hope you enjoyed it! And don’t worry, cuz now I have time to make more so wait for it! And anticipate my next post full of rich, chocolately knowledge!

Bye now, have fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment