Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day [some thoughts]

What is Valentine’s Day? Some people say it is the day of love, others say it is a good way for chocolate companies and holiday card stores to make money. You can say they’re both right, in a way. However, that isn’t what I’m going to talk about today.

Valentine’s Day is a bit more special to me for several reasons. I was originally supposed to be born on Valentine’s Day but for some reason I was born a few days later. Whenever I remember that V-day is near, I get reminded of the grim reality of growing older and facing my mortality. Of course, I am happy on my birthday, but at the same time I approach it with caution, since I know that with each passing year my life will change, sometimes in a direction that I am not familiar with or that I don’t want to go down on. I’ve also not had many good experiences on V-day, so to speak. In particular, senior year of high school and freshman year of college were not good years for me. Since I’ve never had a girlfriend, whenever Valentine’s Day rolls around I am constantly reminded about how lonely I am, not only in terms of a significant other, but in terms of people in general as well. I can’t say I am not at least a bit jealous of couples, since it seems that at least some of them found suitable people to share dreams, hopes, fear, joys with.

So why even care about today? I’ve heard people say that today is pointless. Well no, of course you love your significant other every day, or you should, at least. However, you can say that today is an “excuse” to do something special, out of the ordinary. That’s the way I see it, at least. Maybe this holiday shouldn’t be such a big deal, but at the very least it can be a unique twist to your life, or possibly a chance to risk finding love. On the flip side, today should not be the only day to “show love” to your loved ones. There are 365 days in a year, and you should love your loved ones on all those days.

As for what I think? I kinda enjoy this holiday. Sometimes I get random chocolates from mass Valentine card giving, so I’m ok with just eating chocolates. If you go out to eat you can have some nice desserts that they make only today. It’s not SO bad being alone on V-day, since if you’re alone every day, you’re used to it, right? And yet at the same time, you can just risk it and finally talk to that girl or guy that you’ve been crushing on for a while, or perhaps just talk to some chicks/dudes and maybe pick one of them up for a night on the town. Who knows? But it is undeniable that there is a certain magic today, even if it is only self-projected, in which love can happen just because. As for me, I think I’ll just spend today alone, get some chocolate, perhaps do work. Can’t forget about going to church today, it’s a Sunday, after all. For now, I’ll enjoy what I can of these lonely days until the right one shows up.

So for all those couples today, I wish you lots of luck and hopefully you can enjoy your day together. For all the single people, I wish you lots of fun and enjoy the time you have to yourselves while you can. I will see you guys on a later date. To leave a good note, I’ll leave my favorite Bible quote here and I hope you can take these words to heart when dealing with love.

“If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.”


-1 Corinthians 13

No comments:

Post a Comment