Sunday, August 2, 2009

Characteristics of God

Before I begin, if you have any comments/suggestions/corrections on my prior entry to this blog, then by all means, tell me! It’s always good to expand on ideas to make them better.

Also, I apologize for my lateness, something came up that required my attention.

Now, let us continue, shall we?

I think I want to expand on my idea from last week by explaining how exactly this model can work in explaining not only Jesus’ dual nature, but also His characteristics. Let’s start with God nature.

Characteristics of God (Christian):
omniscience (all-knowledge), omnipotence (all-powerful), omnipresent (all-present), omnibenevolence (all-loving), incorporeal (having no physical body), atemporal (timeless), perfection, and eternal/necessary existence. For the sake of this argument, I can only use the attributes that are physical in nature, seeing as how science is a study of physical things, and as such is not useful in studying things like omnibenevolence, for instance. The attributes I will talk about are omnipresence, atemporal, and being incorporeal.

Omnipresence


How would I explain this? Omnipresence is the all-present attribute of God. But how can God be present in all places at all time? Well, physically, you can consider God to be a particle, a quantized God if you will. If God is a particle, then He can then be described by a “wave function”. The boundaries for this particular wave function, however, is the boundaries for the known universe. In essence, the probability of finding the “quantized God” inside the boundary of the universe is 100%. He will always be inside the universe. This by itself does not show His omnipresence. But what if I were to say that since God is infinite, He cannot be confined to a “quantized” shape? In that case, God would be a “quanta” of infinite size. Which would make Him be in all places in all times in the known universe. Never mind the philosophical/theological implications for now; I may revisit them on a later date.

Atemporal

Atemporalness is the attribute of God to remain outside of time. How can God feel no time? Well, it makes sense, seeing as how if He created the universe, He also needed to create time, and thus, needed to be outside of time. But how? If God were to be in a state of being which He moved at light speed, then He can be in zero time. At the speed of light, time stops. In God’s case, He would feel no time, and thus would be eternal.

Incorporeal


Incorporeal is the attribute of not having a physical body. This seems a bit easier than the others. You can’t “touch” light, can you? And yet, light has the power to cause change. In the same way, God also cannot be “touched”. God has no material body (other than Jesus), so He is therefore incorporeal.

As I said before in a comment, many, if not most, of Christianity cannot be explained via scientific analogy. However, if there is a possible connection, I will try to make it. Again, sorry for the tardiness.

And again, if there is anything wrong with the doctrine or science aspect of this, tell me so I can correct my mistake!

4 comments:

  1. I believe you are looking for "quantum" rather than "quanta" (the latter being the plural of the former) but that is of small importance. Just me being the grammar nazi. The more important thought on that matter is that to make a quantum infinitely large seems to defeat the definition of quantum. However, the definition is the smallest discrete quantity of something. So it can be said that God cannot be divided into anything smaller than infinite, but how do we take the meaning of such things as him dwelling within us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said, I am forgoing the discussion of theological/philosophical implications for the purpose of these analogies. My goal is not to prove the existence of God, but rather to demonstrate that a God with those characteristics is reasonable to exist. They are just that- analogies, meant to show how a God with those characteristics might function. For the theological/philosophical implications, I feel that revisiting it on a later date is best.

    As for your last question, beats me lol. Superposition?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree with your statement that God is atemporal. By contrast, I believe that he is omnitemporal (that is, atemporal without creation but temporal with creation). If tensed facts exist, it would seem to indicate that God is within time. He cannot know that the proposition "It is now 2:55 AM" is true unless he is temporal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm.....I'll have to look into that. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete